Lawyers have filed the first wrongful death lawsuit related to the 2010 egg-related salmonella enteritidis outbreak. The lawsuit names Wright County Egg of Galt, Iowa in the death of a man who ate the eggs in a San Francisco-area restaurant.
The egg recall related to the outbreak would eventually cover over 380 million eggs. These eggs were distributed across the country. Although the egg producing company should have known its eggs carried the bacterium, they did not act in response to the outbreak until they were identified by the Centers for Disease Control. If the company had acted sooner, the lawsuit alleges, many of the 2000 people sickened in the outbreak, including the one known fatality, might have been spared injury.
The man killed by salmonella suffered an intense infection, which placed his body in an extremely acidic state, leading to the destruction of his muscles. As his condition deteriorated, he suffered a heart attack, respiratory failure, and fell into a coma from which he was not expected to recover, and his life support was discontinued.
In this era of industrialized food, the negligence of a single producer has the ability to cause widespread injury and even death. The motivation for these companies is, of course, profit, and as long as it is cheaper to skimp on safety, they will continue to expose us to unreasonable risk.
If you have lost a loved one due to food poisoning caused by negligence in the corporate food system, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. Please contact Robert W. Kerpsack, CO, LPA in Columbus for a free case evaluation.